related to unfamiliar environment; lack of understanding of diagnosis, diagnostic tests, and treatments; financial concerns; and feelings of confinement.
|The client will experience a reduction in fear and anxiety as evidenced by:|
- verbalization of feeling less anxious
- usual sleep pattern
- relaxed facial expression and body movements
- stable vital signs
- usual perceptual ability and interactions with others.
|Nursing Actions and Selected Purposes/Rationales|
- Assess client for signs and symptoms of fear and anxiety (e.g. verbalization of feeling anxious, insomnia, tenseness, shakiness, restlessness, diaphoresis, tachycardia, elevated blood pressure, self-focused behaviors).
- Implement measures to reduce fear and anxiety:
- orient client to environment, equipment, and routines; explain the purpose for and operation of a kinetic bed if indicated
- introduce client to staff who will be participating in care; if possible, maintain consistency in staff assigned to his/her care
- assure client that staff members are nearby; respond to call signal as soon as possible
- keep door and curtains open as much as possible to reduce feeling of confinement
- maintain a calm, supportive, confident manner when interacting with client
- encourage verbalization of fear and anxiety; provide feedback
- reinforce physician's explanations and clarify misconceptions client has about the diagnosis, treatment plan, and prognosis
- explain all diagnostic tests
- provide a calm, restful environment
- instruct client in relaxation techniques and encourage participation in diversional activities
- assist client to identify specific stressors and ways to cope with them
- initiate social service referral and/or assist client to identify and contact appropriate community resources if indicated
- provide information based on current needs of client at a level he/she can understand; encourage questions and clarification of information provided
- encourage significant others to project a caring, concerned attitude without obvious anxiousness
- include significant others in orientation and teaching sessions and encourage their continued support of the client
- administer prescribed antianxiety agents if indicated.
- Consult appropriate health care provider if above actions fail to control fear and anxiety.